Saturday 29 May 2010

28th May 2010 Swarm Collection

Brought a new swarm in from the quay in St Ives. One of the largest swarms I have seen for some time, they were hanging from a wall behind some offices on the quay. When we arrived at about 2pm the swarm was getting ready to depart. There was a lot of waggle dancing on the surface, always a warning that they may be about to depart. Judith went off to Wood Green to collect the hive while I remained behind and kitted up.

Not wanting to loose the swarm, I brushed them off the wall into a skep. When Judith arrived back with the hive, they had mostly settled back down again. I knocked the bees out of the skep, directly into the hive. I had to place a cardboard ramp up to the door for the stragglers to march in.

At 8pm I returned and collected the hive and moved it to Wood Green. I placed it at the Bluebell Wood end of the apiary, just in case it was the power lines at the other end that caused the last swarm to abscond.

No comments:

Post a Comment