Thursday 1 July 2010

1st July check Hive 1

Hive 1 did not get checked last Sunday as I was worried that being queenless on the last check, they might be a bit fractious again.  So taday as part of my round robin looking at all my other hives, I called in to check hive 1.

They still look to be queenless.  There is no brood but there is a sealed queen cell.  I am beginning to think that it must be a dead cell though.  It should have emerged by now.  Workers sometimes close the door on a queen cell after the queen has emerged, but there is no sign that this cell has been opened.  I will give it until next week.  If things don't look up, I will add a frame of eggs from hive 5.

The bramble has started to flow, the bees are bringing in loads of nectar, even if there is no queen.  I added an extra super to giver them more room as the hive is quite full.

No comments:

Post a Comment