Wednesday 2 June 2010

Check the swarm

Today I have been checking my hives. I have been out looking at all my other hives, not the hives at Wood Green. The swarm that we picked up last Friday and moved to WGAS needed checking though. When I picked them up there had been a frame missing from the hive. I had put a sheet of foundation in a frame earlier in the day and it needed fitting in the hive before the bees started filling in the space.

Judith and i opened the hive and first thing to notice was that the syrup that we had fed them was gone. All one litre had beed used. We opened the hive and saw that the bees had drawn the foundation on about 4 frames. They had also built brace comb across the gap where the frame was missing. I had to cut the brace comb out before inserting the frame with foundation.

Before we closed up, I could not resist having a look at one of the frames of drawn comb. There in the bottom of most of the cells were eggs. Good news, the queen is alive and well and laying. Now to leave her alone and let her build up her colony.

No comments:

Post a Comment